Monday, March 8, 2010

Armenian Rhapsody

This is one of my favorite pieces of music!!!! Armenian Rhapsody for two pianos by Arutunian and Babajanian.

I first heard it when I was in year 11, and agreed to help prepare it for my cousin's HSC performance. We Loved it so much, we decided chose it again for my HSC a year later. My HSC performance was recorded and nominated for Encore which was crazy!!! Our performance of this piece peaked during my HSC exam (thankfully !!!!), but I never managed to get a copy of the Board of Studies.

This recording is of our first performance when i was in year 11. It is no where near our best performance, but it is still the best recording I have.

This piece is divided into two movements. The first is slow, romantic and very emotional; constantly fluctuating between different emotions, and musical textures (eg. a solo lament instantly building to a semi climax and thickening 3 fold within a few bars). This contrasts with the second playful and energetic movement, with high levels of syncopation and counter melodies.

This is the link to the recording
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HEVt4e2sLU

No comments:

Post a Comment